Natural Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Treatment
At Health & Wellness Australia & Auckland, our natural health practitioners provide alternative treatment options to help you manage your IBS-related symptoms.To chat to us about our natural IBS treatment options, call us on 1300 853 023 (Australia), 02 9964 0099 (NSW) or 09 479 5997 (NZ). You can also use our online Ask a Practitioner page to see how we can help you.
What is Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a functional disorder of the large intestine. It is not a disease (distinguishing it from coeliac and inflammatory bowel disease) but rather a group of symptoms, which include:
- abdominal pain/cramping
- chronic/episodic diarrhoea or constipation
- bloated, swollen abdomen
- frequent, incomplete evacuation of stools
- presence of undigested food or mucous in stool
What causes IBS?
While IBS has no apparent cause, there are several contributing factors, such as:
- Food Sensitivities - most sufferers report certain foods that aggravate their symptoms. Different foods can cause different reactions and food triggers vary from person to person.
- Leaky gut - a condition where the lining of the gut becomes more porous ('holey') and inflamed, allowing a greater amount of undigested food particles, bacteria, toxins and other material to leak into the bloodstream and travel throughout the body.
- Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO - a condition where a large number of certain bacteria (particularly bacteria which is usually found in the colon) nests in the small intestine, which may damage the cell lining of your gut.
Food allergies and IBS
While the cause and effect of food allergies and IBS remains unclear, certain foods can trigger symptoms in IBS sufferers. These may include:
- sugars (e.g. juice, soft drink, alcohol)
- caffeine (coffee and chocolate)
- gluten, wheat and other wheat-related grains
- dairy and soy products
- processed foods
- spicy foods, onions and garlic
Other food sensitivities that can contribute to IBS are natural and man-made chemicals, such as:
- salicylates - high in colourful fruits and vegetables
- amines - high in aged foods, such as cheese, wine, chocolate and cured meats
- glutamates - high in processed foods and sauces (e.g. MSG)
Some people find that they have a certain 'threshold' of certain foods/food chemicals that their body can tolerate. And these individuals only report IBS symptoms once they surpass this threshold amount, which can make it difficult to pinpoint the foods actually causing the reaction(s).
The correlation between food sensitivities and gut disorders is also circular - gut conditions can cause food allergies, but food allergies can also trigger various gut conditions. If these allergies go undetected, and inflammatory foods continue to be consumed, you may spark an inflammatory cycle where your gut lining cannot repair itself.
Natural IBS treatment
At Health & Wellness Australia, use a technique called muscle testing (or kinesiology) to help identify your food triggers. Following testing, you can work with your practitioner to address your sensitivities using a natural allergy treatment called Positive Association Technique (PAT).
PAT is a non-invasive holistic therapy, which:
- draws on acupressure and kinesiology techniques
- aims to re-train your body
- may reduce your reactions to substances that may be causing or exacerbating your iBS symptoms, including airborne, seasonal and food-based
Some IBS cases can be complex, so our Naturopaths may also recommend supplements, herbs and lifestyle advice to help you achieve the best long-term results.
PAT cannot cure allergies - it is intended to decrease your reactions and help manage IBS-related symptoms.
See if our natural IBS treatment can help you!
Want to know if our natural IBS treatment is right for you? Get in touch!
Send our practitioners a question using our Ask a Practitioner service, and you'll get a call-back or reply straight to your email inbox.
Call our Head Office on 1300 853 023 (Australia) or 09 479 5997 (NZ) 9am-5pmEST Monday-Saturday.
Request a FREE Information E-PACK straight to your email inbox with more information about how we can help you with some of the most common allergy-related conditions and for more information about your local clinic
Want to book an appointment?
Want to try our natural IBS treatment?
Book an appointment with one of our experienced practitioners in one of our clinic locations:
Find a Clinic: Australia & New Zealand
New Zealand Find naturopath acupuncture PAT practitioners allergy clinics in Australia & NZ Ask a Practitioner Free advice: From our Naturopaths, Acupuncturists and herbal medicine practitioners PAT Naturopathy Acupuncture Holistic Health Naturopathy: North Sydney Clinic, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, North Auckland, NZ Clinic Make naturopathy, acupuncture appointment at North Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, North Auckland, NZ Clinic